New Port Richey Root Canals
Professional Root Treatments to Save Your Teeth
If you are suffering from a longstanding toothache, or you’ve waited too long for tooth repair, root canal therapy may be the answer. Root canals are a treatment option designed to repair and save damaged or infected teeth and are often a preferable alternative to outright removal. Although root canals have a reputation as an extremely uncomfortable procedure, recent advancements in root canal therapy have made the process faster and nearly pain-free. At A Family Dentist in New Port Richey, our root canal therapy helps many patients with damage or inflammation return to bright and healthy smiles.
An oral exam can help us determine whether you need a root canal. Make your appointment by calling (727) 645-0766 today.
What Can I Expect from a Root Canal?
This treatment option may be necessary when damage sustained by a tooth results in decay reaching the tooth’s root. If we determine upon examination that the tooth can be saved rather than extracted, root canal therapy will remove the damaged root sections and replace them with a sealant material. Typically, the repaired tooth will then be covered with a crown to protect it from any additional decay.
A root canal typically follows these steps:
- Treatment area is numbed and all infected tooth pulp is removed
- Interior of the tooth is cleaned out and reshaped for ideal filling and sealing
- Antibiotics may be prescribed in order to assist in healing of the local infection
- A temporary cap or crown is often applied on the tooth
- Instructions for oral care and comfort as you heal will be provided
- The area is given time for the infection to clear and to begin to heal
- You return for cleaning and placement of a permanent crown
In certain cases where more tooth pulp has to be removed for access to the root, “core placement” may be required to fill the access area and restore robust tooth structure. During your oral exam, we can advise on a custom treatment plan based on your specific needs. We treat our patients like family, and we want you to feel comfortable with any dental treatments you require.
Contact A Family Dentist in New Port Richey at (727) 645-0766 for your personalized root canal therapy plan.